About Today’s Choice Women’s Center
For over 35 years, the growth and impact of this Christ-centered organization has been a collaborative effort of concerned Christians of all backgrounds throughout Northwest New Jersey. Every day, the staff and volunteers have the privilege of sharing the love and message of Christ in both word and deed.
We exist to Glorify God by being the first choice for women facing an unplanned pregnancy, transforming their fear into confidence by addressing their physical, spiritual and emotional needs and equipping them to make healthy life-affirming choices.
Equipping women and men to make healthy,
life-affirming decisions regarding unplanned pregnancy since 1987.
It is our calling during this critical time in the history of our country and community to provide compassionate care, medical services, practical help, and accurate information to women and men facing pregnancy decisions or past abortions.
The center also promotes and teaches Sexual Risk Avoidance (SRA) Education. We desire above all else, to affirm life and share the hope of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- In 1984, a small group of visionary Christians from Sussex and Warrent counties met to discuss a way to promote the sanctity of life in the bi-county area.
- On September 16, 1986, Helping Hand Pregnancy Center of Sussex Country was incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
- In June of 1987, services began to be offered free of charge at its first office at 11 High Street in Newton, NJ. A 24-hour telephone hotline, free pregnancy tests and options counseling were offered.
- After several years in the small office on High Street, the ministry moved to larger quarters at 51 Trinity Street in Newton in 1992, adding more material assistance, as well as Bible studies and parenting skills training.
- In 2001 the Center changed its staffing to include an Executive Director and a Client Services Director and moved to larger office space at 100b Main Street.
- With the increasing prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), the ministry redoubled its efforts to reach young people witha message of abstinence until marriage. In fall 2002, a program called “Straight Talk” was first offered to lcoal public high schools, and in Fall 2005, Straight Talk Hr. began in middle schools. In 2007, a director of Prevention Programs was hired.
- In 2003, the center’s name was changed to the Today’s Choice, A Resource Center for Pregnancy & Sexual Health to better communicate to abortion minded or abortion vulnerable clients the mission, prupose, and services of the agency in a positive and infromative manner.
- With the help of a state grant, the ministry acquired ultrasound equipment in 2003. It was several years before a medical doctor was found to serve as Medical Director and free, limited first trimester ultrasound exams were first offered in September 2006.
- In April 0f 2008, Today’s Choice expanded its ministry and outreach to men by providing training to 9 male volunteers from the national ministry “Guys For Life”, and in the fall of 2009, the program “MAN 2 MAN” began, focusing on the needs and concerns of the male involved in the unexpected pregnancy.
- In September of 2010, the ministry moved to a larger facility at 43 Trinity Street in Newton.
- In January of 2012, the nationally acclaimed program, Earn While You Learn, was first introduced at Today’s Choice. A comprehensive parenting and life skills curriculum, EWYL enables clients to earn much needed resource while learning valueable lessons.
- In 2016 with the continued growing number of sexually transmitted diseases (STD’s) totaling 20 million new cases each year and half of those occurring in young people ages 15-24, the ministry had team members certified as Sexual Risk Avoidance Specialists (SRAS). Sexual Risk Avoidance is an educational approach based on the public health model of primary prevention to empower youth to avoid ALL the risks of sexual activity.
- In the fall of 2017, a part-time Director of Prevention was hired. We renamed our student program to “Choices Matter” and created an adult education program, “EmpowerED”. We will continue our efforts to educate the community in the area of Sexual Risk Avoidance Education.
- In 2017, the center’s name was updated and simplified to Today’s Choice Women’s Center, the tagline was removed from Today’s Choice, A Resource Center for Pregnancy & Sexual Health.
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
Call us or complete the form below to learn more about getting involved with Today's Choice Women's Center in Newton, New Jersey.